Here are five things many research university presidents need to hear:
1. You are losing money to extramural research administration and folks are raiding instructional programs and tuition to make up their losses. Change this.
2. Your tech transfer office is operating with a failed innovation model and in desperation seeks compulsory ownership of inventions. Stop this.
3. What’s the point of tech transfer licensing if you have no worthy public uses for the income? Find these.
4. Your faculty and the broader community need choice in methods and agents to be effective with research and innovation. Create these.
5. If you want a big impact in your community, you will have to be out in front of ideas and discoveries, early and often, for a decade. Do this.